Masters of the 5-String Banjo
“The Banjo Bible”, the most comprehensive banjo book ever published.
“Nothing else even comes close.”
By Pete Wernick and Tony Trischka
432 pages, over 200 photos, 50 tablatures of all-time favorite arrangements.
About This Book
- Detailed organized information on 70 all-time greats
- 18 in-depth interviews with banjo players who have made significant contributions to their field. Each chapter contains a short biography, a lengthy interview, illustrative photos (detailing hand position, pick placement and banjo of choice), and a selection of their best-known tunes in tablature (with accompanying analyses):Don Reno, Ralph Stanley, Snuffy Jenkins, Sonny Osborne, Allen Shelton, J.D. Crowe, Bill Keith, John Hartford, John Hickman, Ben Eldridge, Alan Munde, Butch Robins, Pete Wernick, Tony Trischka, Larry McNeely, Béla Fleck, Pat Cloud
- 22-page chapter on the legendary Earl Scruggs with in-depth analysis of his style and technique
- Full-length interview with Bill Monroe on the banjo’s role in bluegrass music
Shipping for 1 Book
- U.S.: $10
- Canada: $33
- All other countries except AU/NZ: $44
- For shipping to Australia or New Zealand, or for an order of the book with other items, please write us at [email protected].
List price: $60. Is the Masters Book Worth $60?
This question came up on the Banjo-L discussion list, and here’s how people responded.
“I was looking at the book “Masters of the 5 String Banjo” on line. It looks interesting. Is it worth the almost $60 they are asking for it?”
It’s that good.”
If I can remind some of you, before this book was reprinted, original presses of Masters were selling on ebay for $200 and above. Considering what you would have had to pay for a copy prior to the reprint, $60 is a good deal.”
The following comments are from satisfied owners of Masters of the Five String Banjo, from Internet discussion lists devoted to the banjo. The comments were made to encourage the reprinting of the book several years ago:
“Originally published in 1988 by Oak Publications, this comprehensive overview of the great three finger players is a must for the library of every serious bluegrass banjo picker – at any skill or experience level. Masters has been a cult classic since it went out of print several years ago, commanding prices up to $150 on auction sites during out of print intervals.
I had one before and it was lost. I found it to be one of the best banjo books out there and not because of the tablature in it but because the way it was written. You could get the feel of what it was like back in the 40.s, the 50.s, the 60's and on as bluegrass progressed.
Even having spent the amount of money I did for the auctioned one I never for a moment regret it because I find it a great book. All the personal stuff on the banjo players that I look up to such as what type of instrument they play, how they got started, what strings they use, their strories of being on the road in cars. It was a great book and I have been hoping they would reissue it. Everyone should have a copy of this book.”
Masters of the 5-String Banjo, by Tony Trischka and Pete Wernick – Oak Publications. This is the absolute bible and technical reference for 5-string banjo players! Currently out of print, very rare, and in high demand. There are large sections exclusively on: Snuffy Jenkins, Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs. Then an in depth overview of 68 leading banjo players: when they started, how much they practiced, their current banjo and how it’s setup, their influences, records, and many other items including lots of pictures. Then there are sections with several pages each on: Don Reno, Ralph Stanley, Sonny Osborne, Allen Shelton, JD Crowe, Bill Keith, John Hartford, Ben Eldridge, John Hickman, Alan Munde, Larry McNeely, Butch Robins, Pete Wernick, Tony Trischka, Bela Fleck, and Pat Cloud. Each of the sections has a few songs (with tablature) that represent the picker’s 'signature'..”
More Comments from Satisfied Customers
Also see these comments on Amazon. (Please note that this book is no longer available at Amazon or any other online store — only available here on DrBanjo.com!)