- Directed first bluegrass music instruction camp ever, 1980, and first multi-instructor bluegrass camp, 1985 (Cannon Beach, OR).
- Hosted over 100 multi-day camps in 22 states (OR, WA, CA, CO, TX, UT, IL, MI, MO, MN, LA, TN, KY, WV, NC, SC, GA, PA, NY, CT, RI, MA), Canada, and England
- Over a half-million instructional books and videos sold worldwide, including Bluegrass Banjo instruction book, in print since 1974, books on bluegrass songs and singing, Masters of the Five String Banjo, How to Make a Band Work, banjo tablature books, also numerous magazine articles and monthly columns.
- Ten instructional videos on bluegrass jamming and bluegrass banjo, Homespun Video.
- Performing career since the 1960s, including over 1500 shows with Hot Rize since 1978, in 48 states and 16 foreign countries (incl. Japan, Israel, Australia, Finland, Russia), many national TV and radio appearances.
- In-depth exposure to bluegrass music and the bluegrass community through years as bluegrass d.j., concert promoter, songwriter and publisher, agent and manager, conducting in-depth interviews with many top bluegrass singers and instrumentalists since 1964.
- Attended the first bluegrass festival, Fincastle, VA, 1965, and hundreds since.
- Formed, directed, and presented two history-making youth bluegrass groups, 1993 (w. Thile, Cleveland, Kilby, J. Williams) and 2003 (w. Jarosz, S. Hull, C. Walker)
- President of the International Bluegrass Music Association, 1986-2001.
“I’m proud of my track record of teaching people to play — while continuing to refine my methods since starting to teach banjo in 1964 (age 18).
“I’ve worked at many of the popular multi-instructor camps, under excellent camp directors. And I may be the only bluegrass teacher to read over 2000 anonymous student evaluation forms about my teaching. With all this guidance from so many teachers and learners, I had to improve!”