- Directed the first bluegrass instruction camps: banjo camps (1980-84) and first multi-instructor bluegrass camps (1985-86) in Cannon Beach, OR
- Presented week-long banjo camps in Colorado (1984-2015)
- Has hosted and taught at 100+ multi-day camps in 22 states (OR, WA, CA, CO, TX, UT, IL, MI, MO, MN, LA, TN, KY, WV, NC, SC, GA, PA, NY, CT, RI, MA), Canada, Czech Republic, and England
- Over a half-million instructional books in print worldwide, including Bluegrass Banjo (1974), Bluegrass Songbook (1976), Masters of the Five String Banjo (1988), How to Make a Band Work (1990), JAM Songbook (2019), banjo tablature books; magazine articles (Bluegrass Unlimited, Bluegrass Europe, Banjo Newsletter, Relix) and monthly Banjo Newsletter columns (2004-2012)
- Ten instructional videos on bluegrass banjo and bluegrass jamming, Homespun Video.
- In-depth exposure to bluegrass music and the bluegrass community starting in 1964 as radio host, performer, band leader, recording artist, songwriter, publisher, agent, manager, author, video instructor, concert presenter, camp presenter, IBMA member and World of Bluegrass attendee since 1986.
- Performing career since the 1960s including 1500+ shows with Hot Rize since 1978, in 48 U.S. states and 16 countries (Japan, Israel, Australia, Finland, Russia, etc.), many national TV and radio appearances.
- Conducted 70+ interviews with all-time great bluegrass singers and instrumentalists since 1964, for radio and books.
- Attended the first bluegrass festivals, Fincastle, VA (1965-69), many folk festivals, and has performed at hundreds since, worldwide.
- Directed and presented at IBMA Awards Shows two memorable youth bluegrass groups, average age 12: (1993, 2003) introducing Chris Thile, Michael Cleveland, Cody Kilby, Josh Williams, Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, Cody Walker
- Stage performances with Earl Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Doc Watson, Jimmy Martin, John Denver, Steve Martin, Alison Krauss, Béla Fleck, Phish, Jerry Garcia, Leftover Salmon, String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mt. String Band
- President of the International Bluegrass Music Association (1986-2001)
- Presenter of DrBanjo.com website since 1999.
- Created and has directed since 2010 the Wernick Method international network of bluegrass jamming teachers
“I’m proud of my track record of teaching people to play — while continuing to refine my methods since starting to teach banjo in 1964 (age 18).
“I’ve worked at many of the popular multi-instructor camps, under excellent camp directors. And I may be the only bluegrass teacher to read over 2000 anonymous student evaluation forms about my teaching. With all this guidance from so many teachers and learners, I had to improve!”