Whatever your instrument …
This page shows you how to start jamming!
“I learned to jam almost as soon as I could chord along on easy songs with friends. By keeping it slow and simple, ANYONE can be jamming within days of getting their first stringed instrument!Basic rhythm playing + following chords on good songs… easy, fun, and fundamental!”
Novices, start here:
List of 2-chord songs Pick a song to sing/hum while playing a G — and guess when to go to D and back! Print a copy to keep in your case.
140 favorite songs with chords and melodies in simplified tablature. Sections on harmony singing, singing pointers from the greats. Over 100,000 in print!
Free info on jamming!
- Jam Skills Checklist The first skills to learn, in logical order starting with the essentials.
- Bluegrass Jamming Basics The full ground rules of bluegrass jamming, from “musts” to suggestions, in concise format.
- New! Photos of common guitar chord shapes. All jammers should be able to recognize these chords, for following along.
- List of Bluegrass Jamming Favorites 100+ titles by category (up-tempo, 3/4 time, gospel, etc.)
- How to Find Jams Best ways to find people near you, that you’re best suited to jam with.
- “A New Direction in Teaching and Learning Bluegrass Music” Pete’s time-tested steps for teachers and students, and why they work. Popular article, strongly recommended!
- Ask Doctor Banjo about Jamming Pete’s Q&A section has a special “jamming” category.
“Dr. Banjo”, Pete Wernick is the originator of Banjo Camps and Bluegrass Jam Camps, and creator of many bestselling bluegrass books and videos. Along with performing nationwide/worldwide with Hot Rize and others, he is dedicated to helping people learn the joys of playing bluegrass. Pete’s teaching